Monday, July 6, 2015

(The Artist's Life) "An Actor's Writer?" - Part 2

No sacrilege meant, but it's true: "In the beginning was the Word ..."

Yet the more I work to break down doors, the more I "get" that I may never understand how - or if - Los Angeles works for a writer just trying to be seen.  Even if the simple truth is that every film, every television series, every project shot there begins with words.  And where would words be without the writer to compose them ... even as, somehow, it still feels like the writer is not appreciated enough?

To all who've read, praised, and supported "Candyland" - you're the BEST; after a few years toiling in Los Angeles, your feedback, attention and support for my series-in-book-form has been amazing!  But it's actually my second project using the City of Angels and the pursuit of fame as a backdrop (I guess maybe I am an "actor's writer," as I can't seem to stop writing about actors), and for those who've commented about the narrative format of "Candyland" and asked of my ability to do it scripted ... 

Below is the predecessor, and the project that forever remains #1 in my heart: "Hollywood Boys", the story of five guys who come from all over the country to make it in Los Angeles, season one (13 episodes) chronicling their first two years in L.A. and - in the season finale - coming full circle back to scene one of the pilot ... when all five guys have indeed "made it," but one of them (the viewer doesn't know who, until episode 13) has been shot to death at a big Hollywood premiere.

The Dream was always that the pilot, subsequent scripts and bible for "Hollywood Boys" would - at the least - lead to an entry position on the writing staff of a television series (as was suggested to me once, actually) ... but in truth, those actors who've read the pilot have made comments like "I can't believe this isn't on television already" or "This is how it really is; it NEEDS to be seen!" - so if nothing else I wanted to present it here, for anyone to read, in  the hopes its merits/potential are recognized.  Its audacity and dark humor were directly influenced by Showtime's "Shameless" and you can read the entire first episode, introducing the guys, here:


Questions or comments?  Don: 213-235-6995

I've battled a lot in life - who hasn't? - but still #1 on my Bucket List remains undone: being a working writer in Los Angeles.  I know in L.A. it's pretty much "All for one ... and every man for himself," but with all those I tried to help while there, actors especially, I am just hoping to put the karmic vibe out one last time, wondering if some of it may bounce back in the end via an actor or writer or producer who may see this, and realize that "paying it forward" for something you think worthy of your time brings back memories of where YOU came from as a struggling-to-be-seen artist, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment